Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Links Addition

In order to make this blog more user-friendly, I added a new section: Hormonal Birth Control. Each site has information about one particular hormonal method, or brand. All the sites are maintained by the method's manufacturer. Pharma sites are among the best ones around--they are up-to-date, accurate, and they have complete product information, including links to full prescribing information. The one major drawback: they will not discuss or link to a competitor's product.

On a related note, I am most pleased Blogger has removed those top-of-the-site Google ads. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate [you have no idea how much!] that Blogger is so very easy to use, and I also realize it's a free tool. But, quite frankly, most of those ads made me cringe; they were simply inappropriate. You don't advertise all sorts of creams and potions, especially for a serious disease like [WARNING, graphic pictures] genital warts (caused by human papilloma virus or HPV), on a health information site. Again, it's not the principle I object to. As a matter of fact, I think targeted ads can be quite useful. The problem is, I haven't seen anything that offers bloggers the option to select the ads they deem appropriate for their blog. I think Blogads allows you to reject ads you don't like, but still, you have to wait for whatever unknown advertiser to select your site. This might work for political or current events blogs, but not for a health one. BuzzMachine has more on blog advertising here and here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home