Thursday, June 09, 2005

No Ovarian Function? No Problem

We live in interesting times:

Stephanie Yarber, 25, gave birth Monday night to a 7 pound, 15 ounce girl named Anna, making her the first woman ever to give birth after an ovarian tissue transplant from another person, doctors said.

Her identical twin sister, Melanie Morgan, donated the ovarian tissue that made Yarber fertile.

...

In Belgium, a woman had a baby in September after receiving a transplant of her own ovarian tissue. Seven years earlier, doctors had removed and froze healthy ovarian tissue before the woman was made infertile by chemotherapy. They transplanted the tissue back into her body when she was cleared of cancer.

And more than a year ago, surgeons in China reported a successful whole ovary transplant between sisters.

1 Comments:

At 5:42 PM, Blogger Moi said...

My ovaries function a little too well. It's funny that I found your blog, because last night I spent an hour typing in my own blog about how my period is ruining my life!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home