Sunday, March 18, 2007

God, Still Riding The Bus

Spotted today on the 104 (#6682):




"This is how God showed his love among us:
He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through it."


1 John 4.9

For a Bible or to share in this ministry:
Women's Bible Society of New York 212.603.3052
wbsny@earthlink.net


Although it's not the first time I spot a God ad on a bus (interestingly, last time I saw one was on the same bus line), I was perturbed, nonetheless.

Guess I haven't warmed up to the MTA's Mock-A-Bus-Rider campaign yet.

My only thought, after reading the God ad, was "I really hope the next delusional who thinks he/she has a direct line to God doesn't decide to share the love, strap on a suicide vest, and blow us all to bits."

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 4:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For someone who claims to be an 'activist' and calls for 'equality', this is a close minded, biggoted statement. Feminism doesn't mean you have to hate things you've been told are anti-your cause. I'm not even religious and I found this offensive. This organization has done nothing to you personally. Life is more fun when you embrace the differences in people, not hate them.

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger ema said...

I claim to be an "activist" and I issue calls for "equality"? Really? Where do I do that?

...this is a close minded, biggoted statement.

Which statement?

Feminism doesn't mean you have to hate things...

Phew, good, since this post has nothing to do with feminism.

I'm not even religious and I found this offensive.

What exactly offended you?

This organization has done nothing to you personally.

Um, re-read my post. I ride the bus (a target of religious terrorists), the MTA (a quasi governmental agency, funded, in part, with federal money) runs the buses, and is responsible for accepting the religious ads. MTA's action affect me directly, and not in a good way. The ads are unnerving, upsetting, and counterproductive, in context.

Life is more fun when you embrace the differences in people, not hate them.

Here's the thing, no amount of *anything* is going to induce me to embrace religious terrorists (or any terrorists, for that matter).

And just to clarify, your assertion that I hate the terrorists is incorrect. I don't hate them. I'm suspicious of their motives and ideology, I have a poor opinion of them, and I'm resolved, when attacked, to fight back. That's all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home