Friday, December 14, 2007

I Make An Offering To The Gods

I saw this thing in the supermarket the other day and I have no idea what it is (it has the texture of, and it smells like, a bizarro lemon). I asked a few employees and customers but none had an answer.














One thing I knew for sure was that I had to buy one and mail it to our Dear Leader. And that's exactly what I did. [Sorry Professor, it just couldn't be helped.] I mean, is this a great Squidmas gift, or what?

UPDATE: Mystery solved, thanks to reader ctate. What we have here is a fruit, called Buddha's Hand citron. I changed the pic titles to reflect the new information.

3 Comments:

At 11:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI, it's Buddha's-hand citron, obviously so-named because of the finger shapes. Also, it's pretty expensive. :)

 
At 12:32 AM, Blogger ema said...

ctate,

Thank you. I've updated the post to reflect the new info. I must say, I am quite surprised that's the fruit's natural shape.

 
At 1:46 AM, Blogger ccinnkeeper said...

I saw them at the supermarket I shop at once a few years ago, but unlike yours, this supermarket had them labeled so I knew what they were from your pictures. I don't think anyone bought them, though, because the following week they were being used to garnish the fish counter.

At some point in the last year, Iron Chef America had citrus fruit as the secret ingredient and they had a pile of these things in the mix. At least one of the chefs used them in something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home