Sunday, July 31, 2005

EC and Sunblock

It's no wonder the FDA is dragging its feet on approving OTC status for EC. The agency doesn't even deem you responsible enough to make an informed decision about sunblock. The Advice Goddess has the story:

I know, I've written about this before, but I was doing a little research on sunblock and I saw this from the Detroit Free Press -- an article noting that the FDA has stopped people from buying and selling French sunblocks on eBay. Oh, do they need to spend 10 years testing it? What a pity, considering Mexoryl is the best sun product out there -- and nobody's died from using it in France.


In case you're wondering, I [a melanin*-challenged person; I don't tan, I redden] use Anthelios 60 XL and I quite like it.


*I was going for a joke with melatonin (a popular substance in Europe, but banned in quite a few EU countries), but it might be too obscure, so I changed it.

1 Comments:

At 3:47 AM, Blogger ema said...

I did that once--sunning without protection for maybe an hour. Unfortunately, I was on a Florida beach at the time, and the result was a 2nd degree sunburn. So now I'm resigned to avoiding standing next to nicely tanned people :-).

Re EC OTC, don't even get me started. It's incomprehensible to me how so many people think it's perfectly acceptable to treat repro age women like children, and allow politicians/perfect strangers to decree what medical care is, and isn't, acceptable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home