Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Nursing Student Ben Cochran Responds

Nursing student Ben Cochran offers a response and puts to rest the fears of all those who thought he might be a mediocre satirist, and the hopes of those who thought he would be inclined to remedy his professional incompetence:

If you were among the many who were offended by my column last week, then let me take this opportunity to offer you a heartfelt apology. I am well aware that my stance was not a popular one. As an Opinion columnist, my primary goal is to generate informed discussion. To that end, I intentionally try to be provocative. As such, sometimes my columns offend people. Please understand that my intent was not to cause people to become enraged. I simply hoped they would disagree with the expressed opinion and state reasons for that disagreement. I wanted to see a lively debate, and hopefully, learn something in the process. The position I argued for is a valid opinion by virtue of the fact that it is an opinion. Unfortunately, my word choice was not the best. I cannot believe I said “conscientious” when I really meant “conscious,” among other things. From now on, I will take greater care to exercise better judgment. As always, your responses are welcomed and encouraged.


Based on this response it looks like Mr. Cochran is aware of his incompetence but is unconcerned about, and somewhat amused by, it. As such, those in charge of his education should strongly consider the possibility that even intensive remedial training might not be enough to allow Mr. Cochran to, some day in the distant future, become fit to provide patient care.

It would be a disservice to both Mr. Cochran and his future patients to continue to pretend that someone with his severe deficiencies will become a competent nurse.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 5:44 PM, Anonymous KatzMeowz said...

I am flabbergasted that he considered that a valid apology and disgusted that the paper continues to support him. This entire thing deeply offends and infuriates me.

I really want to see Ben out of the nursing program entirely. I have seen several people state that not only have they written the university about this issue, but also sent letters to the board of nursing. I hope more people are angered enough to take the time to send such letters.

I also think the students at the paper involved in this should lose their positions at the paper. That they would publish hate speech then stand by that decision speaks volumes about their aptitude for journalism.

All of the students involved in this need to face real consequences for what they have done. No one should be able to avoid those consequences with a forced apology, especially apologies as horrible as were offered today.

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger ema said...

Although I haven't addressed that angle, I agree with you. The students at the newspaper are very unclear on the whole journalism thing.

As to consequences, I doubt there will be any. Both the newspaper students and the nursing students at that school appear to lack even basic guidance and supervision.

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

I'm shocked that people who say stupid things that nobody agrees with feel they can reasonable back out of their original position by pretending that it was satire or for the purpose of promoting discussion.

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Aquaria said...

Unfortunately, my word choice was not the best. I cannot believe I said “conscientious” when I really meant “conscious,” among other things.

This guy is a bloomin' idiot. He thinks that THIS is what people are upset about? Seriously?

Ben, if you're reading, and we know you are, because you're just the kind of smug, narcissistic scumbag that would do that sort of thing: Trust me. That was the LAST thing anyone with a fucking brain or remotest speck of respect for women noticed, you misogynistic piece of filth, and if you thought you were being funny by acting like that was the problem, you weren't. You just dug the hole deeper. You've just demonstrated once and for all that you are not only an insensitive douchebag but ALSO that you are a sociopath, without a doubt, and you don't belong with 500 parsecs of a hospital.

Go die in a fire, you woman-hating piece of human filth.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger twincats said...

This guy's "apology" eerily reminds me of a boss I had years ago who fired everyone in a drunken rage at a concert (long story about a very small company, obviously) and absolutely could not wrap his head around why no one showed up for work the next day.

He called me numerous times until I came in and tried (unsuccessfully) to explain it to him.

Later, I read about sociopathy and it described the ex boss to a "t."

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ben Cochran's non-pology does not change the fact that this nursing student went to the EMERGENCY ROOM with a cold. Does he also want to generate "lively discussion" about misuse/abuse of ER services, perhaps among his soon-to-be-peer nurses? They might have something "lively" to say about people in the ER with head colds, sore throats, and 1/2 degree fevers.

 
At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As someone who teaches journalism, I just wanted to add that his position is NOT "a valid opinion by virtue of the fact that it is an opinion." You have to back up an opinion to make it valid. You did that. He didn't.

 
At 3:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Udate on Cochran. This was posted to his FB page. I'm very disappointed at the Univ. response to the entire issue.

Ben Cochran
good news! i'm merely a "mortal embarrassment to the college of nursing." for a second there i thought i was going to be kicked out. instead i was just chewed out. i can handle that. i've been chewed out before. now that that's done...on to graduation!!!!!
Like · Share · October 19 at 6:36pm

 
At 10:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He still has consequences to face. If you google search his name, this article (and the surrounding ire) is the first thing to come up. The nursing world is a small one so, undoubtedly, all of his potential employers are now aware of his piece. He might graduate, but I'm betting he has a tough time getting a job. (And with his obvious ignorance, that's for the best!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home