Nursing Student Ben Cochran
UPDATE: Ben Cochran responds.
In all his glory and my reaction:
I am an Ob/Gyn and a medblogger and I am emailing you to alert you to the fact that one of your nursing students, Ben Cochran, appears to be incompetent. Based on his article, Mr. Cochran:
People go to the doctor when they’re sick.
1) Is unfamiliar with the concept of preventive medicine and all that it entails.
What girl have you ever heard of that goes to a doc in the box for birth control?
2) Has no understanding of student healthcare.
If you have a lung problem, you see a pulmonologist. If you have a heart problem, you see a cardiologist. If you have a cunt problem, you see a gynecologist.
3) Knows nothing about the scope of practice of Pediatricians, Family Practitioners, Nurse Practitioners, or, for that matter, Ob/Gyns.
If you have a cunt problem, you see a gynecologist....Go read your Redbook in the lobby of a specialist while you get a mani as you wait to get your hatchet wound inspected....Please take your gaping holes elsewhere for medical services, and leave the real health issues to those that actually belong on a college campus.
4) Doesn't have even a rudimentary understanding of the anatomy and physiology of the female reproductive tract or the morbidity and mortality of pregnancy.
First of all, not even porn stars need that much birth control.
5) Is stumped by the mechanism of action, and the indications for use, of [hormonal] birth control.
Second of all, do you mean to seriously tell me that I’ve been sitting here in misery for the last half an hour just so that this gaggle of preemie sluts could get a free pass on harlotry?...I don't take issue with sex mongers. They serve their place. Hell, according to the bible, it's the oldest known profession on earth. So you sultry sex fiends are clearly established, but this is a place of higher being.
6) Is under the mistaken impression that medical competence and professionalism are optional and only apply to patients he deems worthy.
Bottom line: I hope you will consider providing Mr. Cochran with the remedial training he so desperately needs before certifying him competent to render care to any patients.
Thank you for your time,
ETA: Oops, forgot to include the last one:
Look, this is a university—an ivory tower of academic prowess. We don’t need to be handing out birth control left and right especially from an on campus location. This is a bastion for the intellectually competent. If you find your talents to lend themselves to a more base and carnal nature, perhaps this just isn’t the place for you.
7) Provides no data to support his extraordinary claim that men and women who use birth control are academically/intellectually handicapped and do not belong on campus.